Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Animated Films, Reece's Cups and Lent's Sacrificial Quandry

As another Mardi Gras "second lines" it's way down Bourbon Street and another Ash Wednesday "tip toes" into the St. Louis Cathedral, I'm trying especially hard to find something meaningful to "give up" for Lent.  Last year, I reigned myself in and pulled the trigger on the big "deactivation" of my Facebook page.  The first 5 days of life without Facebook were no fun. I ate everything I saw, chewed on the fingernails that, if you know me fairly well, you also know are "nonexistent" and I found myself enjoying a glass of wine or two too many, but I did itI gave up Facebook for 40 days and 40 nights.  It was like being stranded on a desert island~wallowing in the solitude of a place I didn't want to be, but, despite all that, when Easter morning approached last year, the first thing my fingers reached out for was not the Reece's Cup stashed in my Easter basket, but the "Facebook Page Reactivation Button" on my laptop.  Sadly, I didn't feel any holier, any more spiritual or any more devout for the sacrifice, only a tad more "disciplined" and alot more "left out of the loop".  I felt alone.  Facebook, you see, is my means of staying in touch with a community of people that I think the world of.  Facebook lets me keep up with people when they are happy, when they are sad, helps me know when they MAY need a phone call, when someone could use a note or card, when there's a new baby, a new pet, or sadly, when someone has passed on.  It enables me to share in all these times through pictures, short comments and most of all, it helps keep friends and family fresh in my mind and helps solidify their spot right there next to my heart.  It helps me forget the 400 some odd miles that oftentimes separate us.  After all was said and done, I decided, it was likely that the good Lord did not want me to be stranded in Atlanta without my Facebook family. Sounds odd~living in a City the size of Atlanta~and being lonely, but it is a fact and quite assuredly, not just for me. Life for me, without Facebook, simply was not a "kinder gentler place", so it seems, with the Lenten Clock ticking away, I have a little over nine (9) hours to find something "worthy" of being cut completely out of my life, at least, for the next 40 days and 40 nights.   It will, most decidedly, not be Facebook.  If any of you want to help me, I'm open for suggestions. . . Comments accepted below :)

There are not too many things that I enjoy more than a good animated movie.  I light up like a moonbeam when I even think of Princess & the Frog.  My feet start moving and I just feel happiness consume me! Over the top? Maybe and I fully understand that I fall into a category unto my own. Some may say I'm a little too old to have any legitimate reason to justify a dying need to be at the movie theatre on the opening night of  "Hop".  Or "Is there a legitimate reason that goes by the name of Webb?  I'm not sure, but I have chosen to believe that monitoring the content of "said new releases"  since the Webbman has blessed us with his presence falls very soundly under the explicit role of his "Bitsy".  Thankfully, after researching this role, I have discovered very little information to substantiate and support just what a "Bitsy" "should" and "shouldn't" do.  I have taken this to mean "It's just fine, for me to create the role and have gathered up and comprised the duties of "Bitsy" as I go".  I'll keep you posted as they arise and start making a list in case there is a future need for this information.  Just so ya'll know, there is no doubt in my mind that tasting the first several Reece's cups out of every bag of chocolate candy that the Webbman is given falls directly under my auspices too.  It's a duty.  After all, We wouldn't want the little man to come across a bad batch now, "Would We"?

Hop premieres April 1rst! 
See ya'll at the Movies :) .

No comments:

Post a Comment